Behaviour Change Communication (BCC)
Behavior Change Communication (BCC) is a process of working with individuals, communities and societies to:
- Develop communication strategies that promote positive behaviors which are appropriate to their settings and
- Provide a supportive environment which will enable people to initiate and sustain positive behaviors.
BCC is a crucial part of Eminence as majority of our work reflects upon promotion of changing behavioral patterns among the subjects for the benefit of our society as a whole. As our main mission includes the creation, promotion, dissemination and translation of evidence based knowledge into practice to ensure health justice and developmental sovereignty, BCC proves to be most beneficial for all that fall under the umbrella work of Eminence.
Identifying the intended audience’s current stage of behavior change helps tailor approaches and messages to their information needs. Eminence thus creates tailored messages that seek to move the intended audience from its current stage to the next stage. Knowing the audience’s current stage also helps the program to gauge how much change is possible and to set realistic objectives
Each project and program of Eminence serves to ensure positive behavioral changes among the targeted audiences. An example can be illustrated with our Alive & Thrive Small Grants Program through which early childhood feeding practices by the mothers were observed and then altered with trained workers to increase the rate of initiation of breastfeeding within an hour of a child’s birth and increase the rate of early month’s breastfeeding.
EMINENCE BCC WORKS
- Round Table Report of “Rapid Urbanization & Urban Health: Are We Ready to Take the Challenges?” for Bangladesh Urban Health Network (BUHN), 2010
- Meeting Report on “Inequalities in Child Survival: Exploring the Case of Bangladesh” for Save the Children UK 2009
- Translation of Booklets in Bangla for “World Diabetes Day 2009”; for International Diabetes Federation, 2009
- Work Place Based Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention Programme in Garments Factories of Bangladesh: A Model Document; World Health Organization, 2009.
- Flip Chart for Work Place Based Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention Programme in Garments Factories of Bangladesh; World Health Organization, 2009.
- Training Manual for the Health Educators and Health Assistants for Work Place Based Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention Programme in Garments Factories of Bangladesh; World Health Organization, 2009.
- Translation of Posters in Bangla for “World Diabetes Day 2009”; for International Diabetes Federation, 2009.
- Monthly Health Bulletin for the “Community Based Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention Intervention in Mirpur Areas”.
- Fact Sheet on Non Communicable Diseases, World Health Organization, 2008.
- Developing Program Implementation guideline on Software Component for Environmental Sanitation, Hygiene and Water Supply in Urban Slums and Fringes Project for CARE Bangladesh, 2007.
- Development of Essential Handbook for the Health Staff of Save the Children (USA) on 2005.
- Handbook of Occupational Health for Save the Children (USA) on 2005.
- Training Manual on Adolescent Health for Save the Children (USA) on 2005
- Training Manual for Communication Skill Development of Save the Children ( USA) on 2004